Delirium by Lauren Oliver


What if you could escape all the drama of your teen years?  Would you look forward to that?  Lena does, she can’t wait for the day when she is cured, when she’s officially grown up and happy.  Her life will be planned out and settled.  Lots of people would like to live this way-it’s not so bad is it?  But where does choice fit in?  Love?  Love is considered a disease.  Something to be afraid of, avoided at all costs. 

With excellent writing, Ms. Oliver sucked me straight into the world.  I understood Lena’s fear and her desire to leave that behind.  A society could easily talk itself into a cure and the isolationism.  Changing the scriptures to suit society’s needs with so many church and it would be to .  I missed the time frame--I think Lena must be second generation under this system.  I love how she has woven in quotations from the “revised literature” of Shakespeare, Scriptures, and yet included true quotations from classic love poetry.   I hate how this book ended.  I know it’s a trilogy, but ugh!!!!  Cliff hangers are the worst way to end a book. 

“I understood that all the happiest moments of my childhood were a lie.  They were wrong and unsafe and illegal. They were freakish.  My mother was freakish and I probably inherited the freakishness from her.”



Comments

Popular Posts