The Edge of Never, by J. A. Redmerski


Bus trip!
Road trip!
Singing in New Orleans!


Instead of “strangers on a train,” Edge of Never is strangers on a bus, who meet, and slowly become friends, then lovers.  

Cameron’s decision to “never love again!” reeks of teen drama.  I do get tired of broken hearted teens declaring they’ll never feel again, or no one will ever be as good as:  __________, (fill in the blank.)  Perhaps my life experience is too much to overcome my disbelief at this point.  She and Andrew certainly seem to get along just fine, and make the transition from friends to lovers pretty easily.  

Andrew’s wisdom comes as a welcome change.  He feels about 4 to 5 years older than Cameron.  His anger issues are discussed, but not shown, and I have a hard time understanding just why this is supposed to be such a big deal.  I did understand it more after the big reveal at the end, but the few childhood scenes didn’t really enlighten me as to why we should be “scared of him.”

Cameron’s BFF, Natalie, did finally show the maturity I expected out of such a long term friendship..  My students need to see that boy drama should not supersede and displace a true friendship.  Some adults I know could also use this lesson.  (Facebook, anyone?)

On the whole I did enjoy Edge of Never, and will read the next one, even though I’m pretty sure I know what “tragedy” will be happening.  

Lessons learned:  Be yourself

Trust your friends.  

Comments

Popular Posts