My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf



I bought this graphic novel because of the reviews, but thought I'd better read it before I put it out on the high school shelf. Just 90 minutes later-Wow. The reviews were right. I'm glad I bought it. I was a bit worried that it would be a glorification of Dahmer; it's not, what it is, is a recollection of a classmate and criticism of 1970's education. Dahmer's daily alcohol use would not be tolerated in today's zero tolerance climate. Perhaps the bullinging that went on would have been stopped.  Who knows what changes could have been made if someone had realized the stange state of Dahmer's mind and tried to do something helpful. 

My Friend Dahmer is a compelling read from someone who was horrified to realize they'd been friends with a boy who became a monster.  

Comments

Popular Posts