The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

11870085I didn’t want to read this book. Hazel has cancer! I avoid books that will make me cry. I also like to be first, I don’t want to read something after everyone else has recommended it. (I guess I really am a librarian snob! Sob! That must be my hamarita.)

Some of my favorite lines:

“Finally, I decided that the proper strategy was to stare back. Boys do not have a monopoly on the Staring Business, after all. p. 10

“Mom’s policy was never to wake me up, because one of the job requirements of Professional Sick Person is sleeping a lot.” p. 38

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once.” p. 124

“I couldn’t be mad at him for even a moment, and only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation:  I couldn’t unlove Augustus Waters. And I didn’t want to." p. 214

"It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we’d done were less real and important than they had been hours before." p 262


                I fell in love with Hazel and Augustus. They are funny people who happened to have cancer. They made me laugh and cry. I cried the last 25% of the book; even though, it didn’t end the way I thought it would. I’m glad I read it, as late to the party as I am.  I give it 5 stars.  Something I seldom ever do.  

Comments

Popular Posts