Reality Boy by A.S. King

Imagine being on a reality tv show at the age of five.  Are you good?  Are you awful?  You’re five, of course, you’re awful.  Now imagine being 17, and remembered as “the Crapper.”  That’s right, it’s just as bad as it sounds; life sucks, doesn’t it?  

This was a fast read for me.  I can’t wait to tell several of my students about this one.  I wish I’d read it sooner.  It’s timely, and probably way more accurate than we’d want to admit.  Part pathos, part redemption, Gerald’s journey is one worth reading.  

Notes:
read in one evening
lots of cussing
boys will like this one
I think Hannah’s notebook is her “Gersday” equivalent

page 5

“There are plenty of angry guys like me in jail.  Its, like, anger central. If we put together all the jails in this country and made a state out of them, we could call that state Furious.”

17332968

Comments

Popular Posts