I am the Weapon (originally titled Boy Nobody) by Allen Zadoff


Kindle    Nook


“Not a sensation...a feeling.” Boy Nobody

This one did not end the way I thought it would.  I love when that happens!  As a series starter, there was a bit of world building, with rather a lot of “inner narration,” but I didn’t mind it.  We still have questions at the end from the over arching plot, but the main one in this novel is wrapped up.  Boy Nobody reminded me a lot of I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, the differences being no aliens, and the hunted being the hunter.  But the similarities were numerous.  There is a friendship with the awkward outcast, romance with the popular girl, grudgingly given respect from the jock, previous moves from place to place, no real parent to speak of and no real happy ending, either.   Is Allen Zadoff, Pittacus Lore?  Hmm, I’ll have to compare the next two books to see if my hypothesis holds.  I am seriously intrigued.  

I think, my boys will like this book.  It’s not as long as some others, so maybe it won’t be s intimidating.  The action moves fairly quickly even with all the thinking Boy does in his head figuring out the next step.  I liked the defense tips, so we weren’t surprised when he did what he did.  The ending may disappoint girls who read it, if they are looking for a book with more romance, but the boys may feel a bit justified.  



Comments

Popular Posts