Mysteries (it's the Sophie show!)

Goodreads blurb: Nine months. Two weeks. Six days. 
That's how long recovering addict Sophie's been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend, Mina, died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered.

Forced into rehab for an addiction she'd already beaten, Sophie's finally out and on the trail of the killer - but can she track them down before they come for her?
 


I did not figure out the mystery in  this book before they told me the answer, and I feel like it kind of came out of left field. I was much more focused on the relationships happening between Mina and Sophie and Trev.  I feel like my kids who like mysteries will want to know who killed Sophie. The ambiguous romantic relationships will confuse the ones who want a clear cut romance, so it’s not for them. The drug abuse angle will interest a different crowd.  





Sophie and Cassie go missing, Sophie shows back up but can't remember anything about that night or even her life.  Cassie’s body is found; she’s been murdered.  Who did it? Everyone is a suspect, especially Sophie.  Why can’t she remember what happened?  

The mystery kept me guessing who did it the whole way through.  I suspected everyone and even wondered about mental illnesses.  I could see what I was pretty sure were clues,but it wasn’t until the end of the book when everything fell into place for me, as it did for Sophie.  I’m glad I bought this for the library; it should be very popular.  









This is a slim little book that packs a powerful punch about bullying, and rumors. What really did Alice do? The story is told from the points of view of her friends, enemies, and bystanders. It would be a great companion book to 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  The multi points of view might be easier to follow in the audiobook, which has multiple narrators.  

Comments

Popular Posts