Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johanson

Amazon

This book is a mix of dystopian and fantasy, but I’d label it fantasy first.  Technology was lost in The Crossing, along with most doctors, nurses, and all the medical equipment. I'm not sure what has happened, to make everything go back to the dark ages, but things are bleak, now.  I listened to this on audio and can’t seem to find a map online, but I think this takes place in a ravaged European like country.

Kelsea has survived to her nineteenth birthday and will be Queen, if she can survive the journey to her throne. Magic jewels, adventure, loyalty, respect, and all the things that make a good fantasy are here. There is very little, to no romance; Kelsea is plain, not a beauty, but she’s strong-willed, educated, and willing to take responsibility for her actions and country.

I'm not really sure that this is a YA a novel. Teens who love fantasy will like it, but there are just enough adult comments and issues to make it more for the adult market, I think. I'll read the sequel, but I'm waiting for it to go on sale or borrow it from the library, the Kindle cost is pretty pricy at the moment.   

Comments

Popular Posts