Infandous by Elana K. Arnold




p. 149 “A myth is not in the telling but in the endless retelling.”

This slim book kept me on the edge of my seat waiting for the big reveal. It wasn’t what I thought it would be, turning out to be more horrifying than I had imagined, and I imagined a lot.  The plot is interspersed with fairy tales and mythology stories that give hints and help one draw conclusions, while not giving everything away.  This one will stay with me for a very long time. 

The relationship between Sephora and her mother is interesting and changes, as all mother/child relationships do as people grow older.  Sephora’s art changes as she deals with new knowledge gained from observation and her own life.  There are so many complex emotions and relationships dealt within the book, yet most are left unresolved as in real life, which will frustrate some readers.  And I myself would like more, but it’s not necessary to the plot. 

In recommending this one, I’ll tread carefully.  The reader needs to be someone who can handle tough subject matter, and won’t get frustrated by the interrupted plot line, someone who loves the complex, and far from “fluffy” novels. I actually will give it to some of my colleagues first, who I think will love this one.  

Comments

Popular Posts