Review: American Ace

American Ace American Ace by Marilyn Nelson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Imagine finding out that your dad is not who raised you. Imagine finding this out after your mother dies, in a letter she left you. All you have is the letter, a ring, and a pin that looks like wings, and no one left to ask questions. That’s what has happened to Conner’s dad. At first dad is depressed and withdraws, but then he and Conner decide to see what they can find out. Using the ring as a starting point, they go to the library to begin their research. The inscription leads them to information about the Tuskegee Airmen. As Conner and his dad deal with this new information they grow closer. This super short read brings up some interesting family dynamics and reactions to what it would be like to have your whole world turned upside down.

I think I would have liked it better if it had been a bit longer. The poems are only on the right side of the book, so it was a really short read. I think it took me no longer than 30 minutes.




View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts