Review: If I Was Your Girl

If I Was Your Girl If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Amada is new to school and quite beautiful, so she catches the eyes of the boys and the popular girls. She's used to blending in and trying to stay under the radar, because she has a big secret.  She's transgender, and usually when people find out they react poorly.

Books about secrets are hard for me to read. I spend so much time waiting for the big reveal that it is hard for me to enjoy the plot. When the tension starts right at the beginning and does't let up, I tend to spend more time worrying about what will happen then getting the nuances of the characters. That said, this was an interesting book. I've read memoirs before, but this is the first factionalized account I've read from a transgender person's point of view. I was pleased to have the author's note, because I did have some issues with how streamlined Amanda's transition seemed to go. Ms. Russo's explanation helped with that.

I've put this in the romance section of my library because of the cover, and love story between Amanda and Grant.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts