Review: Carve the Mark


Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Carve the Mark is set in a universe where the "current" flows through all worlds, and people develop special powers depending on their personalities. Akos and his brother are kidnapped from their family home and taken to another country that is at war with theirs. There, he meets Cyra, assassin, and sister to the leader of Shotet. Her current gift is pain, both for her and anyone she touches. Akos' current gift neutralizes the gifts of others. Sounds like a match made in heaven right? Well, except for the kidnapping thing, the slave thing, the evil brother, the hostage brother, and the fates. The fates...some people in this universe are "fate favored" meaning in every version of the future the oracles see a particular thing happens. Of course, Cyra and Akos have fates.

I'm pretty sure I've figured out where this series will end up. I'm not sure I'll like it. Especially given the history of this author and her characters. It was hard to follow at times since many of the character names seem to be similar. But, I did enjoy this one and liked the differing cultures. I listened to this one and I am glad after seeing it in print. I definitely would not have those names in my head like they are spelled.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts