Review: Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation

Shirley Jackson's Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation by Miles Hyman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I was getting this book ready so many students got excited, "Is that the story we read in class?" I told them it was indeed the same. I don't expect to see it much for the rest of the year.

The art is very evocative of the setting and time frame. The prose is spare but still tells the story. I was left with as many questions this time as I was when I read it as a teen. Why? How could they? Why?

For librarians--there is female nudity when a woman takes a bath to prepare for the lottery.
An interesting note in the book tells a story of the artist's grandmother, who was Shirley Jackson.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts