Review: Of Better Blood

Of Better Blood Of Better Blood by Susan Moger
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

I liked this historical fiction about a girl who becomes a pawn in the Eugenics movement, because of polio. The author's note at the end talks about a little of what was happening in the early 20th century--forced sterilization of "unfit" people. "Unfit" being defined as anyone from a broken home, not physically perfect, etc; as you can imagine. I wanted more from this story, but I do think that there are constraints from the time setting that make a difference in how young girls behaved and were treated. Rowan is as strong as she can be for the time. She manages to save herself and others from many dangerous situations.

My high school students are not that fond of historical fiction. I may put this one in realistic fiction and see if they will read it there.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts