Review: Bang

Bang Bang by Barry Lyga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sebastian killed his baby sister with a gun when he was four. Imagine how that has shaped his life.

I felt like I was reading a SAT prep book at times. Sebastian's vocabulary is off the charts high for a sophomore boy, but he reads a lot, so it works. There were several literary shout outs, 1984, and Narnia, for example. I haven't read other books by Lyga, but I felt like some of the places mentioned in the story referenced some of his other books. As a mom this book was hard to read, the emotions invoked really got to me near the end. I did love Aneesha, she is a good friend to Sebastian.

p. 8 ...the rain timidly speaks up, beginning as a hanging mist.
p. 57 ...visiting Evan's house was like Lucy parting the furs in the wardrobe to behold the snow-filled, lamppost-lit vistas of Narnia.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts