Review: Defy the Stars

Defy the Stars Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

How is a soul created, or defined? Can a mechanical man have one?

Noemi is willing to die for her planet. During practice for the upcoming Masada Run that turns into a real battle, she loses her best friend. That was not part of the plan. Abel has been trapped in the loading bay of his ship for 30 years. He's survived because he is mech, not human. As the years passed, he's changed, dreaming while at rest, waiting for his "father" to come back for him. He worries that he's even broken--mechs don't dream. But it's Noemi who finds him. After much negotiating, they embark on a journey that could end the war or both of them.

I loved this book. I loved the religious references. I loved the relevance to today's society. Who gets our resources? Should we keep them for ourselves? What to do about immigrants? Disease? Warfare? What is good and evil? There are so many questions/issues in this book it could have fallen flat or felt too heavy. I really liked how the author handled the issues and questioning of both Noemi's and Abel's beliefs. Noemi questions her purpose, but her core values remain the same. I definitely will be reading this sequel.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts