Review: Emma in the Night

Emma in the Night Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cass returns three years after she and Emma, her older sister, disappeared. She's home to get help finding her still missing sister. Cass tells her story methodically, with as many details as she can. She and Emma were on an island off the coast of Maine and could not easily escape. Cass was finally able to manage it, promising she'd send back help to Emma. It takes a bit for the FBI to figure out where they were held, as they were off the grid. As Cass tells her story, we get flashbacks of the past before the girls left. Why they ran away, what happened to them, and why they didn't get away sooner are all explained to the parents and the original FBI investigators.

So much is going on in this mystery. Cass and Emma are from quite the messed family. Emma is protective of Cass in their younger years, and combative with their mother as a teen. Cass is invisible, valueless; she has to call her own mother "Mrs. Martin." I was drawn into this story from the beginning and finished it quickly. I don't read many adult mysteries, I'm glad I read this one.

"I knew what I was trying to do. None of this was subconscious. I did not want to be invisible and powerless anymore." p. 294

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts