Review: Making Faces

Making Faces Making Faces by Amy Harmon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fern has been in love with Ambrose since they were 10, but she is used to being ignored. When you look like a 12 year old, have thick glasses, and braces all through high school, people don't really notice you. Bailey, Fern's cousin, best friend, and confidante, just wants to live life as best as he can with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Bailey's dad is the wrestling coach, so he is friends with all the wrestlers. Ambrose is the one everyone loves, he's beautiful, works hard, is the best wrestler, and has potential to bring glory to the town with a wrestling scholarship. When he decides to enlist, with his four best friends, after 9/11, everyone is surprised, but supportive. Sent to Iraq, only Ambrose returns, scarred and broken.

This book gives off slight beauty and the beast vibes, but has so much more to commend it. I love the friendship between Fern and Bailey, and Bailey and the wrestlers. The careful testing of the waters between Fern and Ambrose after his return, was amusing and touching. I'm not sure how I missed this Amy Harmon book, I've been a fan for a while. I bought this one for the high school, and it's been popular.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts