Review: Saints and Misfits

Saints and Misfits Saints and Misfits by S.K. Ali
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Janna, a Muslim girl, is reeling from an attempted rape by her friend's "holy" cousin, Farooq. He's "holy" because he's memorized the whole Quaran, not that he knows what it says--he can just recite it, and of course, he's convinced that Janna wanted him, too. It seems as though he's everywhere and she can't escape him. At school, there is a boy she is interested in, but he's not Muslim, so they really cannot be together. Her brother has moved back home, and she has to give up her room for him. Her brother's intended has talked her into being a part of their Muslim quiz bowl team. So, Janna has a lot going on, and is trying to find her voice.

I loved reading about Janna, her conflict, her trying to figure out how she should deal with all the things that happened to her. Her friendship with Mr. Ram, an elderly gentleman, she takes to the mosque once a week for Senior Game day, is lovely and such an important part of her life. I do feel like there are some things left out about the girls at school who are engaging in some online bullying. I have questions left unanswered, and I wanted more information. It felt as that part of the story didn't quite serve much of a purpose, unless it was just to show how good a friend Tats really was to Janna.

I think I'll buy this for the high school.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts