Review: American Panda

American Panda American Panda by Gloria Chao
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Mei is supposed to be a doctor, that will be quite hard since she is a germaphobe. Her parents have high expectations for her since they disowned her brother for falling in love with a woman who may not be able to have children. Wow, that reads as awful doesn't it. Mei thinks so too, but she is trapped by guilt. She's in her first year at MIT, a year early. So much is going on that she is lying to her parents about while she tries to figure out how to possibly be herself.

Mei's struggles and triumphs are often cultural, but I feel like so many students can identify with the parental pressure she is feeling. I'm wishing I had read this earlier in the year. I'll be handing it to several students in the fall.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts