Noggin by John Corey Whaley



Noggin is this year’s Fault in Our Stars for me, a touching, poignant cancer story with a twist. You have to suspend belief to believe that Travis’ head could be successfully transplanted onto someone else’s body but that gimmick is an amazing way to look at how we deal with grief and growing up. Travis has such funny descriptions of other people. I’d have liked him as a friend.


A couple of my favorite quotes: 

“And I definitely wasn’t going to go flashing my scar around like some cryogenic gigolo.” (p. 174)

          “Hey Travis? I don’t think it really matters if you know how to exist.”
          “What do you mean?”
          “I don’t think any of us do.”
          “Then what are we doing?”
          “I don’t know. We’re just meandering." (p. 312)

Comments

Popular Posts